In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: hand tools. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|toolbox||(n) a container for keeping tools in
I keep all the tools in a toolbox.
|saw||(n) a hand tool for cutting wood or other materials
He used his saw to cut the wood in two pieces.
|pliers||(n) a tool that is used to hold or pull small objects
I used my pliers to hold the nail.
|wrench||(n) a tool used to hold or turn objects
I turned the bolt with a wrench.
|hammer||(n) a tool used to hit objects like nails
I hit the nail into the wood with a hammer.
|screwdriver||(n) a tool used to turn screws
I used a screwdriver to tighten the screw.
|drill||(n) an electric tool used to make holes
I made holes in the wood with a drill.
|drill bit||(n) an object you put in a drill to make holes
Put the drill bit in the drill.
|tape measure||(n) a tool used to measure things
He used the tape measure to see how wide the door is.
|utility knife||(n) a tool to cut with a blade that goes back into its handle
A utility knife can cut soft materials.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you think a toolbox is good to have in the house? Why or why not?
- Tell me some things you can use a tape measure for.
- Why are some hand tools dangerous?
- Which is your favorite hand tool? Why?
- Should children learn how to use hand tools? Why or why not?
- Where can you buy hand tools in your country?
- Are hand tools expensive or inexpensive to buy in your country?
- Do you like to use hand tools? Why or why not?
- Does everybody like to use hand tools? Why or why not?
- Which hand tool do you dislike the most? Why?