In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: in the bedroom. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|mattress||(n) the soft or firm cloth case that you lie on to sleep
I have a big bed. It’s a king size mattress.
|bed frame||(n) the structure of the bed where the mattress is put on
Please help me move the bed frame.
|bunk bed||(n) a type of bed that usually has two single mattresses; one on the bottom and top
Children like to sleep in bunk beds.
|sheets||(n) a large piece of cloth put on beds; used to sleep on or under
I like to sleep on freshly cleaned sheets.
|blanket||(n) a large cloth made of a warm material that is used to sleep when cold
A blanket will keep you warm when you sleep.
|dresser||(n) a piece of furniture used to put clean clothes in the drawers
I keep my pants in the bottom drawer of my dresser.
|nightstand||(n) a small table next to a bed
I have a lamp and an alarm clock on my nightstand.
|closet||(n) a very small room used to store clothes, shoes, etc.
Her closet is full of shoes.
|hanger||(n) a curved piece of metal, wood, or plastic used to hang clothes on
A hanger is used to keep clothes wrinkle-free.
|clothes hamper||(n) a container to put dirty clothes in
His clothes hamper is full of dirty clothes. It’s time for him to wash them.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What size mattress do you have? (For example – king, queen, double, single)
- Do you have a TV in your bedroom? Why or why not?
- Do you like to read in your room? Why or why not?
- Do you like to eat food in your bedroom? Why or why not?
- Do you like to sleep with the window open or closed? Why?
- What do you keep in your closet?
- Do you like to sleep with a night-light on? Why or why not?
- Where do you put your dirty clothes?
- Do you like a soft or firm mattress? Why?
- Do you use hangers? Why or why not?