In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: communication. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|face-to-face||(adj) to talk direct and in front of each other
I think it’s better to talk face-to-face.
|over the phone||(prep phrase) to talk with someone by phone
She told me the news over the phone.
|body language||(n) to communicate with the body without talking
Waving hello to someone is a form of body language.
|opinion||(n) what someone thinks about something
Her opinion is that everyone should have free education.
|argument||(n) to talk about something with different opinions; sometimes with anger
They had an argument about where to go on vacation.
|miscommunication||(n) fail to communicate clearly
The miscommunication caused an argument.
|repeat||(v) to say again
He had to repeat his sentence because they didn’t hear him.
|express||(v) to communicate what you think or feel
I want to express my sadness concerning the death of your father.
|interrupt||(v) to stop a person from speaking for a short time
I need to interrupt you to tell you something important.
|misunderstanding||(n) when someone doesn’t understand something clearly
There must be a misunderstanding. I never said your opinion was wrong.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- When was the last time you had an argument? Why did you argue?
- Do you think there’s a lot of miscommunication between people? Why or why not?
- Do you like when people interrupt you? Why or why not?
- Tell me about 3 ways to communicate.
- Do people use body language in your country? If yes, give some examples.
- Why do people have to repeat what they said sometimes?
- Do you like to communicate face-to-face or over the phone? Why?
- Do you like to express your opinions? Why or why not?
- Tell me about a time you had a misunderstanding with somebody.
- Do you think some people like to argue? Why or why not?