In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: landscapes. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|landscape||(n) an area of land that has a particular quality or appearance
My favorite landscape is a snow-covered mountain.
|mountain||(n) an area of land that is very high
The mountain is 3,000 meters high.
|forest||(n) a large area of land with lots of trees and bushes
Her parents live in the beautiful forest.
|river||(n) water that flow naturally crosses an area of land
The Amazon River is the longest river in the world.
|valley||(n) a low area of land between mountains or hills
People have lived in this valley for a long time.
|desert||(n) a large area of dry land with sand
The Atacama Desert is located in Chile.
|waterfall||(n) an area in a river where running water falls down from a high place
Niagra Falls is a famous waterfall.
|lake||(n) a large body of water surrounded by land
His house is next to the lake.
|glacier||(n) a very large area of ice that moves slowly, especially on mountains
She wants to visit a glacier while on vacation in Switzerland.
|cliff||(n) a high area of rock with a very steep side
The cliff overlooks the ocean.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Which is your favorite landscape? Why?
- Tell me some landscapes that you have seen while on vacation?
- Do you like to take photos of beautiful landscapes? Why or why not?
- If you had a choice to visit a waterfall or glacier, which one would you pick? Why?
- What are some landscapes tourists can see in your country?
- Tell me some things you can find in a forest.
- Would you go camping in the desert? Why or why not?
- What type of activities can a person do at a lake?
- Do you think a valley is a good place to live? Why or why not?
- Tell me about a landscape you never saw but would like to.