In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: jobs and occupations. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|accountant||(n) someone whose job is to keep the financial records for a business or person
An accountant controls the money.
|dentist||(n) someone whose job is to care for people’s teeth
A dentist checks your teeth.
|judge||(n) a person who has the power to make decisions in law
The judge gave him three years in prison for stealing money.
|waiter/waitress||(n) a person who takes your order and serves you food in a restaurant
The waiter served our food. (waiter – male; waitress – female)
|news reporter||(n) a person whose job is to report the news for a news agency
the news reporter wrote an article about the Olympic games in Rio de Jainero.
|plumber||(n) a person whose job is to install and repair sinks, toilets, water pipes, etc.
The plumber is fixing the leak in my kitchen sink.
|nurse||(n) a person trained to take care of sick people; usually works in a hospital or doctor’s office
The nurse helps the doctor.
|lawyer||(n) a person whose job is to help people with legal problems and matters
The lawyer helped him to get divorced.
|electrician||(n) a person who works on and repairs electrical problems
The electrician fixed the light in our living room.
|fireman||(n) a person who helps to put out fires; works with other firemen
A fireman has a dangerous job.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What’s your job title? Describe your job.
- Would you rather have a well paying job or a satisfying job? Why?
- What did you want to be when you were a child? (For example – I wanted to be a fireman)
- Tell me 3 jobs you would like to do.
- Tell me 3 jobs you wound not like to do.
- What is your dream job?
- Do you like to interview for jobs? Why or why not?
- Would you rather work inside or outside? Why?
- Do you like to travel for work? Why or why not?
- Do you plan to have the same job until you can retire? Why or why not?