In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: natural disasters. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|earthquake||(n) a sudden and violent shaking of the earth that can cause a lot of damage
The earthquake caused damage to many buildings.
|tornado||(n) a violent storm where powerful winds move around in a central point
The tornado moved slowly through the city causing a lot a damage.
|hurricane||(n) a powerful storm with strong winds and rain that causes a lot of damage
The strong wind from the hurricane broke windows.
|volcanic eruption||(n) when a volcano explodes fire and lava from its top
The volcanic eruption caused many houses to catch on fire.
|flood||(v) a large amount of water usually from too much rain
The heavy rain caused the streets to flood.
|landslide||(n) a large amount of ground and rocks that slide down a mountain or hill
The landslide closed the road.
|tsunami||(n) a very large and high wave in the ocean usually caused by an earthquake
A tsunami occurred after the earthquake and flooded the city near the beach.
|avalanche||(n) a large amount of snow and ice or ground and rock that slides down a mountain
An avalanche can occur on Mount Everest.
|disaster plan||(n) a plan to help people survive and live after a natural or man-made disaster
A disaster plan includes storing food and water.
|evacuate||(v) to move people from a dangerous place to somewhere safe before or after a disaster
We were told to evacuate because a hurricane is coming.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Which natural disaster do you think is the worst? Why?
- What natural disasters are common in your country?
- Would you volunteer to help after a natural disaster? Why or why not?
- What can people do to prepare for a natural disaster?
- Should governments help people with money after a natural disaster? Why or why not?
- If you were told to evacuate because of a hurricane, would you leave your home? Why or why not?
- Why do you think natural disasters occur?
- Have you ever been in a natural disaster? If yes, describe it.
- Why do you think people live near volcanos?
- Are you willing to donate money to help people after a natural disaster? Why or why not?