In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: making decisions. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|choice||(n) the act of picking or choosing
They want to go to Dubai or London. It’s a difficult choice to make.
|setback||(n) a problem that delays a process or decision
There’s a small setback in our plans to cook. The stove stopped working.
|risk||(n) the possibility that something bad will happen
There’s always a risk when you drive a car.
|responsibility||(n) something that is your job or duty
It’s your responsibility to make the right decision.
|long-term||(adj) lasting for a long period of time
Her long-term goal is to be a successful doctor.
|short-term||(adj) lasting for a short period of time
Her short-term goal is to graduate with a Bachelors in Science.
|peer pressure||(n) a feeling that you have to do what others do in your age group
His decision was influenced by peer pressure.
|second thoughts||(n) a feeling of doubt or worry after you decided to do something
They are having second thoughts about getting married.
|make up one’s mind||(expression) to finally make a decision
She needs to make up her mind about which university to attend.
|change one’s mind||(expression) when you decide to do something else after you made a decision
He changed his mind about becoming a doctor. Now he wants to be a pilot.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Are you good at making decisions? Why or why not?
- Tell me about a good decision you made.
- Tell me about a bad decision you made.
- Do you like to make choices? Why or why not?
- What is an example of a long-term goal?
- What is an example of a short-term goal?
- Have you ever made a decision then changed your mind? If yes, explain the situation.
- Have you ever asked the opinion of someone else before making a decision? If yes, explain the situation.
- Do you think people make bad decisions because of peer pressure? Why or why not?
- Tell me about a setback you had in your life.