In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: computer technology. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|desktop computer||(n) a computer that designed to be used on a desk
I prefer to use a desktop computer at work.
|laptop computer||(n) a portable computer small enough to put on your lap
I take my laptop computer everywhere I go.
|devices||(n – plural) a machine or equipment that is made for a special purpose
You can buy electronic devices at the store.
|gadget||(n) a small useful device
A mobile phone is a gadget.
|e-books||(n – plural) a book that is read on a computer or other electronic devices
She likes to read e-books more than paperback books.
|apps||(n – plural) short for applications; a computer program that performs a special function
Travel apps are my favorite.
|outdated||(adj) no longer useful; not modern or current
After a couple of years, electronic devices are outdated.
|state-of-the-art||(adj) the most recent and modern like technology
He always buys the state-of-the-art computers.
|computer virus||(n) small programs that attack your computer and cause damage to software and files
It’s important to protect your computer from a computer virus.
|hacker||(n) a person who uses a computer to gain access to information on other computers; not authorized
A hacker wants to steal information from other computer systems.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What apps do you use on your mobile phone?
- Name some electronic devices you use.
- Do you always buy state-of-the-art devices? Why or why not?
- Do you read e-books? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer a desktop or laptop computer? Why?
- Besides a mobile phone, do you own any other gadgets? If yes, tell me about them.
- Have you ever had a computer virus? If yes, explain what happened.
- Why do hackers try to steal information from people and companies?
- Do you own outdated electronic devices? If yes, tell me what they are.
- Should everyone have free internet? Why or why not?