In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: the environment. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|natural resources||(n – plural) materials found in nature like water, trees, oil, etc
Everyone needs to protect our natural resources.
|eco-friendly||(adj) will not hurt the environment
Plastic bags used at supermarkets are not eco-friendly.
|earth||(n) the planet on which we live
Our earth is always changing.
|pollution||(n) things that hurt our environment
A lot of big cities have air pollution from cars.
|litter||(n) trash that’s thrown on the ground and roads
You can see a lot of litter alongside the roads.
|recycle||(v) to use again; make products from other products
Some companies recycle metal to make other products.
|reuse||(v) to use something again
She likes to reuse plastic water bottles.
|landfill||(n) a place where trash or rubbish is buried in the ground
The landfill is located outside the city.
|contaminate||(v) to make something dirty or polluted
Don’t contaminate the environment with litter.
|renewable energy||(n) energy that comes from a natural resource that can be used again
Rain is renewable energy. I collect it to water my flowers.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Are there litter laws in your country? If so, what is the penalty for littering?
- Why do people litter?
- What are some types of pollution? (For example – light pollution)
- Does your country have a recycling program? If so, tell me about it.
- What are some things that can be recycled? (For example – newspapers)
- What are some natural resources? (For example – oil)
- What are some renewable energy sources? (For example – rain)
- What are some eco-friendly products? (For example – reusable water bottle)
- Do you use eco-friendly products? Why or why not?
- What can you do to make the world a better place?