In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: feeling sick. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|illness||(n) a sickness or disease that makes you feel bad
She showed no signs of illness.
|headache||(n) a pain in the head
I have a headache. I’m going to lie down.
|fever||(n) when the body temperature goes up to high
My body is very hot. I think I have a fever.
|stomachache||(n) a pain in the stomach
My stomach hurts. I have a stomachache.
|flu||(n) a common disease caused by a virus; body aches, fever, and feel weak
I think I have the flu. I have a fever and body aches.
|cold||(n) an illness where you have a cough, feel tired, and sneeze
I don’t have the flu. I have a cold.
|sore throat||(n) when your throat is red and has pain; difficult to swallow
When you have a sore throat it’s hard to swallow food and drinks
|vomit||(v) sick to the stomach and the food and liquid comes out of your mouth
My stomach hurts. I think I’m going to vomit.
|a runny nose||(phrase) when a little liquid comes out of your nose
I need a tissue because I have a runny nose.
|cough||(v) to force air through your throat with a short loud noise; usually when you have a cold
When you cough, cover your mouth.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you get a flu shot every year? Why or why not?
- What do you do when you have a cold?
- What do you do when you have a stomachache?
- Do you go to work or school when you are sick? Why or why not?
- Have you ever been sick in the hospital? If so, what was wrong with you?
- Do you think older people get sick more often? Why or why not?
- What types of medicine do you keep in your home?
- Is it important to eat healthy to prevent illnesses? Why or why not?
- Is it important to exercise regularly to prevent illnesses? Why or why not?
- When was the last time you were sick? What was wrong with you?