In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: using office supplies. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|pen||(n) a device that has ink to write or draw
I use a pen with black ink.
|paper clip||(n) a piece of wire bent into flat loops that are used to hold paper together
My documents are together with a paper clip.
|file folder||(n) a plastic or paper folded cover used to hold documents
I keep my important documents in a file folder.
|stapler||(n) a device used to attach papers
I use a stapler to attach my essay papers together.
|staples||(n – plural) u-shaped wires that go into a stapler
He needs to buy more staples for the stapler.
|envelope||(n) usually a rectangular paper container for a letter
You need to put the letter in the envelope.
|calculator||(n) an electronic device used to do math like adding and subtracting
She uses a calculator to add and subtract numbers.
|scotch tape||(n) clear material used to tape things together like paper
He used scotch tape to put the torn paper back together.
|scissors||(n – plural) a tool used to cut paper, plastic, etc
He used scissors to cut the paper into two pieces.
|rubber band||(n) a thin ring of rubber used to hold things together
She put a rubber band around the five pens.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Which office supplies do you use?
- Where do you buy office supplies?
- What can scissors be used for?
- What can be kept in a file folder?
- Do you have an office in your home? If so, what do you use it for?
- Where can office supplies be stored?
- Tell me some more office supplies that are not mentioned above.
- Do you use a calculator? If so, what for?
- What do you use rubber bands for?
- Can you tell me some other kinds of tape?