In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: types of vehicles. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|sedan||(n) a type of car with 2 or 4 doors; usually 4 or more people can sit in it
I drive a four-door sedan. It’s a Honda Accord.
|hatchback||(n) a type of car that the back door opens upward
He drives a hatchback. It’s a Ford Focus.
|convertible||(n) a type of car where the roof can be removed or lowered
We drive our convertible with the roof down.
|pickup truck||(n) a small truck with an open back and low sides
A pickup truck can carry lots of things in the back.
|sports car||(n) a low small car that is made for 2 people and goes really fast
He drives his sports car really fast.
|minivan||(n) a small van that is made for 5 or more people
They drive a minivan because they have 4 children.
|sports utility vehicle (SUV)||(n) a larger type of car that usually has power to all 4 wheels
An SUV can usually be driven on rough roads.
|limousine||(n) a very large and comfortable car driven by a professional driver for other people
The limousine will pick us up to go to dinner.
|motorcycle||(n) a vehicle with 2 wheels and a motor; made for 1 or 2 people
I ride my motorcycle when the weather is nice.
|motor scooter||(n) similar to a motorcycle but has a place to rest your feet and is smaller
A motor scooter is usually slower than a motorcycle.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you have a vehicle? If so, what type?
- Do you prefer to drive or be a passenger? Why?
- If you could have any car, which one would you pick? Why?
- Do people drive good or bad in your country?
- At what age can you drive legally in your country?
- Do you like to buy new or used cars? Why?
- What are some other types of vehicles? (For example – compact car, police car, ambulance, tow truck, etc.)
- Do you like motorcycles? Why or why not?
- Is it dangerous to drive a vehicle in your city? Why or why not?
- Do you like to drive in a big city or the countryside? Why?