Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again!
- Kevin: The movie we saw last night was boring. I almost fell asleep within the first fifteen minutes.
- Dorothy: I’m sorry. I was worried that you were not going to like it.
- Kevin: It’s ok. Next time, let’s decide together which movie to watch.
- Dorothy: Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the choices, and I pick a bad movie.
Using adjectives that end in -ed and -ing.
Read the diagram below out loud with your tutor. Can you come up with some example sentences of each?
Go over the vocabulary and expressions below with your tutor. Then practice making sentences with each word.
|disgusted 📘||disgusting 📘|
|shocked 📘||shocking 📘|
|soothed 📘||soothing 📘|
|worried 📘||worrying 📘|
|overwhelmed 📘||overwhelming 📘|
|insulted 📘||insulting 📘|
|confused 📘||confusing 📘|
|inspired 📘||inspiring 📘|
|bored 📘||boring 📘|
|embarrassed 📘||embarrassing 📘|
Practice: Tell your tutor about a time you felt embarrassed.
Make a sentence using the -ed or -ing adjective.
- embarrassed The student was embarrassed because he was the only one who forgot to do his homework.
- disgusted ________________________________________________.
- inspiring __________________________________________________.
- confused _________________________________________________.
- shocking _________________________________________________.
Fill in the blank with the correct word ending in -ing or -ed.
- It’s shocking to hear that the world is full of corruption.
- He is (1) _______________ by his brother’s success in life.
- The soft tranquil music is (2) ______________ to my ears.
- His daughter said she was totally (3) ______________ about questions at the job interview.
- A lot of the streets in big cities are (4) ______________ because people don’t know how to use the trash bins.
Using the vocabulary list above, fill in the blank with the correct “ed” or “ing” word.
- The TV program about psychology was so boring, I switched channels.
- I’m (5) ________________ with too much homework and tests to study for.
- The lady was (6) ________________ by the foul language used by the man talking to her.
- The increase in violent crimes is (7) _________________.
- Relationships can be (8) _________________ because sometimes people don’t communicate well.
Is the word ending in “ed” or “ing” an adjective or verb?
- Am I boring you with my opinion about politics? verb
- She shocked everyone with the news about her pregnancy. (9) _______
- The mall is overwhelming on Saturdays because too many people are shopping. (10) _______
- All of us are inspired by her countless acts of kindness. (11) _______
- I’m embarrassing myself right now with my foolishness. (12) _______
- Tell your tutor about a time you felt overwhelmed. What happened?
- Tell your tutor about a time you felt insulted. What happened?
- Who is the most inspiring person in your life? Why?
- What is more worrying to you: family troubles or political troubles?
(Source: 1. https://vemqueteexplico.blogspot.com/2013/02/adjetivos-terminados-em-ed-e-ing.html, 2. http://www.grammar.cl/Notes/Adjectives_ED_ING.htm, 3. http://lanouvelleboheme.com/most-embarrassing-language-mistakes/, 4. https://englishhelponline.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/embarrassed.jpg)
(6) shocked / disgusted