Repeat after the tutor.
- I can play drums.
- They can buy anything.
- He can speak two languages.
- Bruno can’t sing low.
- She can’t support her parents.
- He can’t eat cucumber.
- She could see her friend.
- I couldn’t run faster than the horse.
- He couldn’t do anything.
- I couldn’t drive the big truck.
- I can help you.
- I can run fast.
- You can do it.
- He can fix this problem.
- I can’t move my body.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|beat||(v) to hit (something) repeatedly
e.g. He can beat the door with his fists.
|cucumber||(n) a long vegetable with dark green skin and crisp flesh that is often used in salads or for making pickles
e.g. She can cut the cucumber for you.
|buckle down||(phrasal verb) to start to work hard
e.g. You can buckle down and get good grades if you put your mind to it.
|buckle up||(phrasal verb) to fasten your seat belt in a car or other vehicle
e.g. Can you buckle up before we start driving?
|grant||(v) to agree to do, give, or allow (something asked for or hoped for)
e.g. Can you grant me access into the event?
|cold turkey||(n) the act of stopping a bad habit (such as taking drugs) in a sudden and complete way
e.g. Do you think you can stop cold turkey?
|incremental||(n) a usually small amount or degree by which something is made larger or greater
e.g. Your business can grow incremental if you start to advertise.
|advertise||(v) to make the public aware of something (such as a product) that is being sold
e.g. You can advertise for your company during the commercials.
|improve||(v) to make (something) better
e.g. She couldn’t improve her grades.
|build up||(phrasal verb) to increase gradually in amount as time passes
e.g. Tomorrow they can pick up the garbage that builds up along the highway.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- it / can / do / you / .
- body / I / my / move / can’t / .
- couldn’t / the / they / President / see / .
- can / English / you / speak / ?
- he / teacher / be / good / can / a / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- I can run fastly.
- He can’t marry with Yuri.
- Can you dance like mine?
- I can tough.
- She can’t be good singer.
- Answer the following questions.
- Is there anything you can’t do? Name 5. (use “I can’t”)
- How many languages can you speak?
- Describe a time there was problem that you couldn’t fix.
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Writing room: A genie has granted your wish to build your perfect space for reading and writing. What’s it like?
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes: You need to make a major change in your life. Do you make it all at once, cold turkey style, or incrementally?