insert image here (ratio 2:1 if possible)
Repeat after the tutor.
- I can play drums.
- They can buy anything.
- He can speak two languages.
- Bruno can’t sing low.
- She can’t support her parents.
- He can’t eat cucumber.
- She could see her boyfriend.
- I couldn’t run faster than the horse.
- He couldn’t do anything.
- I couldn’t drive the big truck.
- I can help you.
- I can run fast.
- You can do it.
- He can fix this problem.
- I can’t move my body.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|beat||(v) to hit (something) repeatedly
e.g. He beat the door with his fists.
|cucumber||(n) a long vegetable with dark green skin and crisp flesh that is often used in salads or for making pickles
|Buckle down||(phrasal verb) to start to work hard
e.g. You had better buckle down if you want to get good grades.
|Buckle up||(phrasal verb) to fasten your seat belt in a car or other vehicle
e.g. You should always buckle up [=(Brit) belt up] before you start driving.
|Buff up||(phrasal verb) to become stronger and more muscular or to make (someone or something) stronger and more muscular by exercising and weight lifting
e.g. She is buffing up for her role as a female boxer.
|Bug out||(phrasal verb) to leave quickly
e.g. Wait here till we get back. Don’t bug out (on us).
|Build around||(phrasal verb) to develop or organize (something) by using (something, such as an idea) as its main or central part
e.g. We built our program around the idea that people need love and support.
|Build in||(phrasal verb) to make (something) a part of (something else)
|Build on||(phrasal verb) to use (something that has been done in the past) as a basis for further work, development, etc.
e.g. Each president builds on/upon the success of each past president.
|Build up||(phrasal verb) to increase gradually in amount as time passes
e.g. They pick up the garbage that builds up [=collects] along the highway.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- it / can / do / you / .
- body / I / my / move / can’t / .
- couldn’t / the / they / President / see / .
- can / English / you / speak / ?
- he / teacher / be / good / can / a / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- I can run fastly.
- He can’t marry with Yuri.
- Can you dance like mine?
- I can tough.
- She can’t be good singer.
- Answer the following questions.
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Writing room: A genie has granted your wish to build your perfect space for reading and writing. What’s it like?
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes: You need to make a major change in your life. Do you make it all at once, cold turkey style, or incrementally?