In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: Baseball. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|The Major Leagues||the two highest U.S. baseball leagues (the American League and the National League)|
|Fielder||any defensive player (as opposed to a batter)
e.g. The fielders include: the pitcher, first baseman, second baseman, third baseman, shortstop, and outfielders on the left/center/right.
|Circuit slugger||A player who often hits home runs, running the full circuit of bases when he or she does so|
|Money smash||A really good hit (of the baseball)|
|A ballpark figure||an estimate or guess
e.g. How many people were at the concert? Just give me a ballpark figure.
|Strike out||to fail while giving your best effort
e.g. He struck out on his graduate school applications. So he’ll try again next year.
|Throw a curve ball||to surprise someone with something that’s unpleasant to deal with
e.g. She really threw me a curve ball when she told me last minute that she couldn’t drive me home.
|Touch base||to talk briefly to someone.
e.g. I have to go to an appointment now, but let’s touch base tomorrow.
|Play hardball||to act aggressively and ruthlessly.
e.g. The tenants are playing hardball with their landlord, holding back on payments they owe until the heating issue is fixed.
|Right off the bat||instantly, immediately
e.g. I could tell they liked each other right off the bat.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you like baseball? Do you enjoy watching it or playing it?
- When was the last time you went to see a baseball game? Describe the experience.
- Who is your favorite baseball player? Why do you like him?
- Does baseball look like a fun game to you?
- Do you have a professional baseball league in your country? Which team is your favorite and why?
- Do you think baseball will ever be a worldwide sport, like soccer? Why or why not?
- How is baseball different from other sports?
- Can you describe the rules of baseball? Explain as much as you know.
- What are some differences between the baseball in the US and in your country?
- What do you think about the baseball uniform? Do you ever wear a baseball cap?