In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: parts of a book. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|cover||(n) the front of the book that has the title, author, and usually images
The cover is what you see first before you open the book.
|chapter||(n) one of the sections of the book; usually has a number and/or title
I’m currently reading chapter 10.
|spine||(n) the outside edge that keeps the pages together; usually glued
The spine of a book usually has the title.
|author||(n) the person who wrote the book
Stephen King is a famous author.
|title||(n) the name of the book
The title of the book is, “To Kill a Mocking Bird”.
|publisher||(n) a person or company who makes the books; usually not the author
The author gave his book to the publisher to produce 1000 books.
|table of contents||(n) in the beginning of the book; a list of the chapter names and pages
The table of contents is a brief summary of the chapters in a book.
|illustrator||(n) the person who creates the pictures and images for a book
The illustrator is a good artist.
|glossary||(n) at the end of a book; a list of words and definitions in the book
The glossary is similar to a dictionary.
|index||(n) usually at the end of a book; a list of subjects and references to include a page number
The index helps you reference specific pages about a subject.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Does reading help a person learn? Why or why not?
- Do you read books? Why or why not?
- What was the last book you read about?
- Besides books, what else do people read?
- Did you like reading when you were a child?
- What is your favorite genre (type)? For example, drama.
- How many hours do you spend reading in a week?
- Where is your favorite place to read? Why?
- Do you think it’s better to read books or watch TV? Why?
- Which books would you recommend to read?