In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: at the bakery. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|white bread||(n) bread that is light in color; made with refined flour
She only likes to eat white bread.
|wheat bread||(n) a darker colored bread made with white and whole wheat flour
Wheat bread is healthier than white bread.
|english muffins||(n) a small round flat type bread; usually sliced in two pieces
He likes English Muffins toasted and with butter.
|sourdough bread||(n) a bread where the flour and water are changed chemically (ferment)
Sourdough bread is delicious to eat by itself.
|pita bread||(n) round flat middle eastern bread that can open into a pocket
Pita bread can be filled with meat and peppers.
|french bread||(n) usually white bread in a long, thin stick form and a hard outside
French bread is delicious with butter and garlic.
|bun||(n) small round or long bread usually for hamburgers or hotdogs
Please give me another hamburger bun.
|bread rolls||(n) a small round shaped bread
Some restaurants give the customers’ bread rolls.
|pastry||(n) a type of sweet cake usually baked with nuts or fruit
The coffee shop has a delicious pastry called Cinnamon Roll.
|slice of bread||(phrase) a loaf of bread cut into pieces
I need slices of bread to make a sandwich.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What is your favorite type of bread?
- Do you like to eat sandwiches? Why or why not?
- Do you eat a lot of bread? Why or why not?
- Do you think bread is healthy or unhealthy food? Why?
- Does your country have its own type of bread? If yes, describe a type of bread?
- Do you have a favorite bakery in your country? If yes, why are they your favorite?
- Do you like pastries? Why or why not?
- Can you name some other types of bread?
- How often do you eat bread?
- Do you like to eat bread or rolls while it’s still warm from the oven?