In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: in the supermarket. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|shopping cart||(n) a plastic or metal basket on wheels that you put things in that you want to buy
The shopping cart is full of meats, vegetables, fruit, and milk.
|basket||(n) a container you carry with your hands to put things in that you want to buy
I use a basket when I’m only buying a couple of things.
|aisle||(n) the long narrow space in between the shelves in a store
Can you tell me which aisle the pasta is in?
|cashier||(n) the person you pay when you buy groceries
The cashier asked me if I wanted to pay with cash or credit.
|deli section||(n) the area in a supermarket where there is sandwich meats, cheeses, and pre-made salads
The deli section sometimes gives out free samples of cheeses.
|frozen food section||(n) the area in a supermarket where the food is kept frozen
The frozen food section is usually next to the refrigerated section.
|dairy section||(n) the area in a supermarket where there is milk, yogurt, packaged cheese, etc.
The dairy section is always cold.
|bakery||(n) the area in a supermarket where there is freshly baked bread, cookies, cakes, etc.
I love to eat freshly baked bread from the bakery.
|produce section||(n) the area in a supermarket where the fruits and vegetables are kept
You can find healthy foods in the produce section.
|meat section||(n) the area in a supermarket where the meats like beef, chicken, pork, etc are kept
He likes to get beef and chicken from the meat section.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you like to go to the supermarket? Why or why not?
- What things do you like about the supermarket?
- What things do you dislike about supermarkets?
- What types of food can you find in the frozen food section?
- What types of food can you find in the dairy section?
- Wha types of food can you find in the bakery?
- Would you like to work in a supermarket? Why or why not?
- If you had five minutes to fill your shopping cart for free, what would you put in it?
- Is there a specific day and time you go to the supermarket? If yes, why do you go on that day and time?
- How could your local supermarket improve?