In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: driving a car. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|seat belt||(n) a strap that holds a person in the seat if there’s an accident
People should always wear their seat belt.
|passenger||(n) the other people in a vehicle who are not driving or operating it
I prefer to be the driver and not a passenger in a car.
|lane||(n) the area of the road you drive in
In the USA we drive in the right lane.
|speed limit||(n) the maximum allowed speed when driving
The speed limit is 120 km/h.
|traffic jam||(n) a long line of cars and vehicles on a road that stopped moving or moving slowly
There’s allows a traffic jam when I drive to work in the morning.
|stop sign||(n) a sign at an intersection where ethe driver has to stop before going
Sometimes drivers don’t stop at a stop sign.
|traffic light||(n) the overhead light at an intersection that has 3 colors: red, green, and yellow
When a traffic light turns red, drivers need to stop.
|intersection||(n) a place where streets meet or cross
She lives near the intersection of Main and 5th Street.
|crosswalk||(n) a marked path where people can cross a road safely sometimes
There are many people walking in the crosswalk.
|fender bender||(idiom) when 2 vehicles have a minor accident; not a lot of damage to the cars
He caused a fender bender while driving to work.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you like to drive? Why or why not?
- What do you do when you are stuck in a traffic jam?
- Have you ever been in a fender bender or accident? If yes, tell me about it.
- Do people drive well in your country? Why or why not?
- Do you stop for people when they are going to use the crosswalk? Why or why not?
- Which do you prefer, public transportation or driving? Why?
- Do you like driving at night? Why or why not?
- Tell me some reasons why drivers honk their horn.
- Do you like to be a passenger in a car? Why or why not?
- Do you always wear your seat belt? Why or why not?