Repeat after the tutor.
- I am about to have lunch.
- She is about to call the police.
- My son is about to go to school.
- We are about to jump.
- I was about to call you.
- She was about to play a game.
- He was about to go shopping.
- Are you about to leave?
- Are they about to cancel this show?
- Is she about to tell him the truth?
- I am about to eat something.
- She is about to go to work.
- We are about to give up everything.
- He is about to ask me something.
- They are about to leave this building.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|bathroom||(n) a room with a sink and toilet and usually a bathtub or shower
e.g. I was about to go to the bathroom to brush my teeth.
|fiancee||(n) a woman that a man is engaged to be married to
e.g. Are you about to ask her to be your fiancee?
|related||(adj) connected by common ancestry or sometimes by marriage
e.g. I am related to my uncle.
|shoot||(v) to cause a bullet, arrow, etc., to move forward with great force from a weapon
e.g. She was about to shoot an arrow towards the tree.
|press||(v) to push (something) with strong or steady force
e.g. I am about to press the button to go on the elevator.
|bottle||(n) a glass or plastic container that has a narrow neck and usually has no handle
e.g. Has the baby finished her bottle yet?
|hit||(v) to move your hand, a bat, etc., quickly so that it touches someone or something in a forceful or violent way
e.g. Are you about to hit him?
|break||(v) to separate (something) into parts or pieces often in a sudden and forceful or violent way
e.g. I was about to break the glass but then I caught it.
|open||(v) to cause (something) to no longer be covered, sealed, or blocked
e.g. Are you about to open that door?
|order||(v) a specific request asking a company to supply goods or products to a customer
e.g. I am about to order new clothes online.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- about / everything / we / give / up / to / are / .
- to / we / about / get / are / married / .
- the / open / was / she / about / to / window / .
- press / was / button / he / about / the / to / .
- business / a / about / you / are / start / to / ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- She is about going to work.
- He is about to me ask something.
- They are about to broke the window.
- you about to sing this song?
- Are you about to start a business?
- Answer the following questions.
- What were you about to do before the lesson? (use “be about to V-ing”)
- What was the girl outside about to do? (use “be about to V-ing”)
- What were the puppies about to do? (use “be about to V-ing”)
- (Homework) Write a paragraph (5-10 sentences).
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university?
- What is something you are optimistic about?