Repeat after the tutor.
- I was driving a pickup truck.
- I was doing something.
- She was wearing a white outfit.
- We were watching a movie.
- I was not sleeping.
- The cat was not moving.
- Danny was not writing his essay.
- Were you writing?
- Was she sleeping at a party?
- Were they helping you?
- I was driving.
- She was eating an ice cream.
- He was working with me.
- It was moving fast.
- They were cleaning the room.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|remove||(v) to move or take (something) away from a place
e.g. She had to remove the plates from the table after they finished eating.
|look at||(v) to direct your eyes in a particular direction
e.g. She was looking at the television.
|talk to||(v) to say words in order to express your thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc., to someone
e.g. She was talking to her friend.
|answer||(v) something you say or write when someone asks you a question
e.g. She was answering him after he asked her a question.
|pay attention||(idiom) to listen to, watch, or consider something or someone very carefully
e.g. He was paying attention to the story the teacher was telling him.
|hold one’s breath||(idiom) to stop breathing for a short period, on purpose
e.g. He was holding his breath while he was underwater.
|bleed||(v) to lose or release blood because of a cut, injury, etc.
e.g. Her hand was bleeding because the knife slipped while she was cutting her apple.
|burn||(v) to be on fire or to feel heat as if on fire; (n) an injury caused by exposure to heat or flame
e.g. The toast was burning because it was left too long in the toaster.
|cause||(v) something or someone that produces an effect, result, or condition
e.g. When the car hit the pole, the police had to find a cause for the accident.
|pain||(n) the physical feeling caused by disease, injury, or something that hurts the body; mental or emotional suffering
e.g. He felt pain when he bumped his toe against the table.
Go over the following exercise with your tutor.
- Make a sentence.
- was / I / driving / .
- organizing / they / the room / were / .
- about / I / thinking / was / you / .
- we / not / together / studying / were
- doing / were / something / you / ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- She were eating an ice cream.
- Sue and Alice was singing.
- I was not look at you.
- Was they eating pizza?
- Was Jenny help you?
- Answer the following questions.
- What were you doing right before your Cambly lesson?
- What was your friend doing this morning?
- Were you sleeping at 1AM last night?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Describe last night. What were you doing?
- Describe a fun party or event you went to. What were you doing there?