Repeat after the tutor.
- Help me understand this poem.
- Help your grandmother walk.
- I helped my brother find a girlfriend.
- My trainer helped me lose weight.
- I didn’t help him steal the diamond.
- I am helping my sister learn Japanese.
- He is helping a cute girl move her box.
- We can help you make money.
- Can you help us find this street?
- Did you help her buy a car?
- I help him walk.
- I helped her study English.
- He helped me park my car.
- They helped me find this store.
- She helped us understand this question.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|poem||(n) a piece of writing that usually has figurative language and that is written in separate lines that often have a repeated rhythm and sometimes rhyme
e.g. He wrote a poem about his parents.
|park||(v) to leave a car, truck, motorcycle, etc., in a particular place
e.g. I couldn’t find anywhere to park.
|Break away||(phrasal verb) to get away from someone or something especially by using force or effort
e.g. Large pieces of the rock ledge have broken away.
|Break down 1||(phrasal verb) of a machine : to stop working properly
e.g. Our car broke down on the highway.
|Break down 2||(phrasal verb) to fail or stop usually in a complete and sudden way
e.g. Negotiations have broken down.
|Break down 3||(phrasal verb) to become overwhelmed by strong emotions
e.g. She broke down and started to cry.
|Break down 4||(phrasal verb) to lose or cause (someone) to lose strength or the ability to resist or fight
e.g. The prisoner finally broke down under intensive questioning.
|Break down 5||(phrasal verb) to become separated or to separate (something) into simpler substances
e.g. The foods you eat break down in the body’s digestive system.
|Break down 6||(phrasal verb) to be able to be divided or to divide (something) into parts or groups
e.g. The report breaks down into three sections.
|Break down 7||(v) to use force to push (something) to the ground
e.g. break down a barrier
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- English / helped / I / study / her / .
- understand / she / question / us / this / helped / .
- cook / is / me / helping / she / .
- you / exercise / help / can / I / .
- move / me / help / microwave / this / can / you / ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- I helped he walk.
- They helped me found this store.
- I am helping him learning French.
- He helping me find my son.
- Can you help me lost my weight?
- Answer the following questions.
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Breaking the law: Think about the last time you broke a rule (a big one, not just ripping the tags off your pillows). Were you burned, or did things turn out for the best?
- Sweet sixteen: When you were 16, what did you think your life would look like? Does it look like that? Is that a good thing?