Repeat after the tutor.
- Help me understand this poem.
- Help your grandmother walk.
- I helped my brother find a math tutor.
- My trainer helped me lose weight.
- I didn’t help him steal the diamond.
- I am helping my sister learn Japanese.
- He is helping a girl move her box.
- We can help you make money.
- Can you help us find this street?
- Did you help her buy a car?
- I help him walk.
- I helped her study English.
- He helped me park my car.
- They helped me find this store.
- She helped us understand this question.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|poem||(n) a piece of writing that usually has figurative language and that is written in separate lines that often have a repeated rhythm and sometimes rhyme
e.g. My friend helped me write a poem about my parents.
|park||(v) to leave a car, truck, motorcycle, etc., in a particular place
e.g. I need help finding somewhere to park.
|break away||(phrasal verb) to get away from someone or something especially by using force or effort
e.g. He helped us break away from the dogs that were chasing us.
|break down||(phrasal verb) of a machine : to stop working properly
e.g. Our car broke down on the highway so we needed to get someone to help us get home.
|humble||(adj) not proud : not thinking of yourself as better than other people
e.g. He needed help remembering to stay humble.
|praise||(v) to say or write good things about (someone or something) : to express approval of (someone or something)
e.g. Do you need help writing praise for the new business?
|chubby||(adj) somewhat fat
e.g. He was always chubby so he had a trainer help him lose weight.
|deposit||(v) to put (money) in a bank account
e.g. She needs help depositing her money into the bank.
|member||(n) someone or something that belongs to or is a part of a group or an organization
e.g. Can you help me become a member of the gym?
|cookie||(n) a sweet baked food that is usually small, flat, and round and is made from flour and sugar
e.g. Are you sure you don’t need help eating all those cookies?
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- English / helped / I / study / her / .
- understand / she / question / us / this / helped / .
- cook / is / me / helping / she / .
- you / exercise / help / can / I / .
- move / me / help / microwave / this / can / you / ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- I helped he walk.
- They helped me found this store.
- I am helping him learning French.
- He helping me find my son.
- Can you help me lost my weight?
- Answer the following questions.
- Have you ever helped someone move? Describe it.
- Have you helped teach someone something? What was it?
- In what ways does your tutor help you?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Breaking the law: Think about the last time you broke a rule (a big one, not just ripping the tags off your pillows). Were you burned, or did things turn out for the best?
- Sweet sixteen: When you were 16, what did you think your life would look like? Does it look like that? Is that a good thing?