Repeat after the tutor.
- I wish I had seen your sister.
- I wish I had bought the stocks.
- I wish you had followed me.
- I wish you had explained it to me.
- I wish we had visited Washington D.C.
- I wish we had watched it yesterday.
- I wish she had proposed to me.
- I wish they had promoted me.
- I wish I hadn’t saved the killer.
- I wish we hadn’t met.
- I wish you had seen her.
- I wish you had come to the party.
- I wish I had had time.
- I wish I had bought it.
- I wish she had called me yesterday.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|stock||(n) a share of the value of a company which can be bought, sold, or traded as an investment
e.g. I wish I had invested in more stocks.
|promote||(v) to change the rank or position of (someone) to a higher or more important one
e.g. I wish I had been promoted today.
|ghostwriter||(n) to write (something, such as a book) for someone else using that person’s name
e.g. I wish he had a ghostwriter for his book.
|biography||(n) the story of a real person’s life written by someone other than that person
e.g. I wish I had a copy of your biography.
|erase||(v) to remove something
e.g. I wish I had not erased the tape.
|incident||(n) an unexpected and usually unpleasant thing that happens
e.g. I wish that incident hadn’t happened.
|year||(n) the regular period of 12 months that begins in January and ends in December
e.g. I wish I had more time during the year for my hobbies.
|close off||(phrasal verb) to not allow (something) to be used for a period of time
e.g. I wish the city hadn’t closed off the beach to tourists.
|unusual||(adj) not normal or usual
e.g. I wish you had seen how unusual that dog was.
|disappoint||(v) to make (someone) unhappy by not being as good as expected or by not doing something that was hoped for or expected
e.g. I wish you hadn’t disappointed me yesterday.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- had / her / wish / you / seen / I / .
- I / time / I / had / wish / had / .
- forgotten / I / wish / my / hadn’t / you / advice / .
- they / wish / us / had / I / helped / .
- wish / we / up / hadn’t / I / given / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- I wish I have bought it.
- I wish she had call me yesterday.
- I wish you sell your house.
- I wish we had been studied in Los Angeles.
- I wish Olivia has come.
- Answer the following questions.
- Have you ever read a biography? Who was it? If not, who would you want to read about?
- What year were you born?
- If you got to be a ghostwriter for someone, who would it be?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Ghostwriter: If you could have any author –living or dead – write your biography, who would you choose?
- Erasure: You have the choice to erase one incident from your past, as though it never happened. What would you erase and why?