Repeat after the tutor.
- I am working because I need money.
- I am tired because I worked too hard.
- I was sensitive because I was tired.
- We are not going to study because today is Friday.
- I fell because you pushed me.
- I don’t like cucumber because it tastes weird.
- They promoted me because I was smart.
- We fired him because he was lazy.
- I have to exercise because I am fat.
- You have to hurry because tomorrow is the last day.
- She had to leave because she has a test tomorrow.
- Are you upset because I forgot your birthday?
- Do you like me because I’m funny?
- Did you help her because she was poor?
- Did you buy this sofa because you liked the design?
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|become of||(v) to happen to
I don’t know what has become of him after school ended.
|prized||(adj) very valuable or important
These baseballs are some of my most prized possessions.
|possession||(n) something that is owned or possessed by someone
Her grandmother’s ring was the girl’s most precious possession.
|incredibly||(adv) extremely good, great or large
His feet grew incredibly large in the past year.
|attached to||(adj) emotionally connected: having strong feelings of affection
Her daughter became very attached to the stray cat.
|logic||(n) a proper or reasonable way of thinking about or understanding something
There was no logic to his reasoning in the proposal.
|excuse||(v) to forgive someone for making a mistake or doing something wrong
Please excuse his rudeness at dinner.
(n) a reason that you give to explain a mistake or bad behavior
|rationale||(n) the reason or explanation for something
He described the rationale behind his decision to leave the company.
|infer||(v) to form an opinion from evidence: to reach a conclusion based on known facts
Based on the evidence presented, he wanted to infer that he was guilty.
|carry over||(phrasal verb) to continue to exist or be seen in another place or situation
His work frustration didn’t carry over to his home life.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- wanted / was / she / to / go / I / because / .
- were / They / sad / left / because / she / .
- cold / was / no / She / because / had / she / socks / .
- he / go / to / ready / He / because / was / wanted / .
- stopped / She / she / scared / was / because / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- She went ahead because knew the way.
- Did you buy the shirt because looked good in it?
- Bring it back because you wanted to?
- We wanted to go get tickets, because we bought them.
- Is she there because is there?
- Answer the following questions.
- What made you want to start this lesson?
- Why would you go to the store today?
- What is a reason why you would be happy?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- The social network: Do you feel like you “get” social media, or do you just use it because that’s where all your friends and family are?
- Prized possession: Describe an item you were incredibly attached to as a child. What became of it?