Repeat after the tutor.
- Let’s visit her to surprise her.
- Let’s pray to support Jane.
- She is exercising to lose weight.
- He is trying to open this window.
- He is working to support his parents.
- She is running to catch the bus.
- I live to eat.
- She needs my help to finish her homework.
- I woke up early to go to school.
- He took a taxi to go to work.
- I have to study English to succeed in my life.
- We have to leave now to avoid the traffic jam.
- You have to study hard to be a doctor.
- Is he learning English to live in America?
- Did you wake up to have breakfast?
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|alma mater||(n) the school, college or university that someone attended
She visited her old alma mater when she was back in town.
|speech||(n) spoken expression of ideas, opinions, etc. that is made by someone who is speaking in front of people: the ability to speak
The crowd was in awe of the host’s speech.
|look forward to||(phrasal verb) to expect something with pleasure
She felt she had nothing to look forward to once she returned.
|bloom||(v) to produce flowers: to change, grow or develop fully
The flowers in the garden started to bloom in the spring.
|harden||(v) to become hard or firm: to make something hard or firm
It will take a few minutes for the frosting to harden.
|blossom||(v) to produce flowers: to change, grow or develop fully
When the school year started, their friendship began to blossom.
|meadow||(n) a usually flat area of land that is covered with tall grass
Do you want to have a picnic in the meadow over there?
|scenery||(n) a view of natural features that is pleasing to look at
She loved looking at the mountain scenery.
|humid||(adj) having a lot of moisture in the air
Her room was so humid because of the warm temperatures.
|bud||(n) small part that grows on a plant and develops into a flower
She couldn’t wait to see the buds grow into flowers.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- want / Do / to / eat / you / dinner / ?
- thought / he / want / would / I / go / to / .
- went / I / food / buy / store / the / to / to / .
- wanted / She / cook / nice / a / meal / to / .
- come / wanted / over / They / to / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- You should go now to miss.
- She wanted to visit, them at their house.
- He went to Paris to.
- Her daughter needed help, to finish her homework.
- You could bake a cake bring to the party.
- Answer the following questions.
- Why would someone be running after a bus?
- What is a reason why you are working?
- Why would someone want to exercise?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Alma mater: You’ve been asked to speak at your high school alma mater — about the path of life. (Whoa.) Draft the speech.
- Turn, turn, turn :For many of us, winter is blooming into spring, or fall hardening into winter. Which season do you most look forward to?